Total Machine Creatures
I Don't Have A Soul//I have Software
19 May 2007
Battlestar Notes

As I've noted before, I am not the biggest enthusiast when it comes to the sub-genre of "space opera". I tend to be very particular about how I digest my melodrama.


In spite of all of this, I feel constantly obligated to endure Battestar Galactica.


It's not that the show is badly produced. I would concede the opposite in fact. It's extremely well produced. From the writing to the cinematography, it's a highly sophisticated sci-fi drama. The success and popularity of the show is a boon for genre television. But ultimately, that is all it is.


I have always been of the opinion that it is the duty of speculative and counter-factual fiction to take risks. Tackle the ideas and the concepts that are too elusive for us to deal with in the day-to-day. Ask the big questions that have the potential the compromise our foundations as a society and as a species. Make us face things that we have never faced before. But you have to do it out right. You have to exaggerate it, make it blatant and obvious. Make it impossible to miss.


BSG is not one of those pieces of fiction. Sure it's got some decent action, and I do find its alternate perspective on the human race (i.e. a polytheist society not born of Earth) to be interesting, but ultimately it is not asking any questions. It is barely giving answers. It is an anthropological work on contemporary society. It is a funhouse mirror. And while there is a deep tradition of science fiction television which serves this purpose, it is not enough.


The one facet of the show that I do find engaging is the way in which sleeper Cylon agents are used. Not only do they question the nature of humanity, but they force the human characters to stretch their humanity across a wider spectrum. I still have yet to see how exactly this will play out. It could ultimately be another piece of fiction which addresses the issues of the post 9/11 socio-political situation, which would date itself extremely, or it could actually lead to harder questions.


Enthusiasts of the show generally talk about the plot-driven drama. The twists and turns that come from being emotionally invested in serialized fiction. None of this is new to me, and while this may be a formula for success, it could also lead to the show losing steam. Heroes is an example of how the general American public is ready for fantastic fiction in a serialized format, but Lost is an even better of example of how the American public is not ready for it in long-form. Americans like to have their mysteries solved. They like clear-cut resolutions. But as the recent cancellation of Gilmore Girls has proven, they like good writiting like they like their flame-broiled burgers: They like it their way. While I find this to raise interesting issues in media theory and interactive entertainment, in my opinion, it will provide ultimately detrimental to the art of fiction.


Of course, I could always continue to watch BSG for the explosions and the "sexy robot bitches", but what is the fun in that?



Powered by ScribeFire.